Traumatic injuries kill more children in our country than any natural condition or illness.
Injury is the leading cause of child mortality in children after the first year of life; Unintentional injury is the leading overall cause of child mortality in children ages 1-14.
The United States leads the world in the number of child abuse cases.
What causes injuries to children must be well understood and investigated by those who have the training and expertise to provide current and evidence-based interpretation.
- ~2 - 3 million cases of child abuse investigated each year
- ~160,000 children suffer serious or life-threatening injuries each year
- ~ 1300 children die each year from abuse
- More than 3 children die each day
- 85% of fatalities <6 years of age
- 41% of fatalities <1 year of age
- In children <1, abuse ranks 2nd only to SIDS as the leading cause of death
- In children >1, abuse ranks 2nd only to accidents as the leading cause of death